Sunday, June 3, 2012

Better Bikinis: give your suits a makeover

I love shopping for bathing suits and summer clothes! I pretty much just love bathing suits and summer style, because it means one thing: summer is here and going strong.

Lately I have overloaded my Pinterest with bikinis and summer dresses, and studded shorts and floral crops, and awesome sandals. I am a summer girl 100%, through and through. But I haven't bought a new bathing suit yet this season, and now I feel like I can hold off on that for a little longer.

As I said earlier, I love shopping for summer, but I do like to be financially savvy and get the best out of what I have bought. I also, like most women, like any advice that will a) make me look better in a bikini or b) make a bikini look better on me.

Ladies, if you have any triangle tops, or even any bikini bottoms, you have potential for a killer new bathing suit style.

I ran across a tip on Pinterest about changing up how you tie your triangle top from a tumblr blog called Goldfish Kiss , I decided to try it out and browse her site, which I fell in love with. And I also found a tip for making those boring bikini bottoms morph into the awesomely flattering scrunch-butt bottoms. I have a few triangle tops and basic bottoms that are the staples in any girls bikini line up, but I was getting kind of tired of them, and I just felt that they were boring. I was actually planning on going through my suits and getting rid of some. Now, I am back in love with all my bathing suits and will not get rid of any of them! (Okay, maybe I'll ditch last year's floral, sequined monokini, which was not my best idea)



Triangle Top= Wrap Top


This tie is great for the ladies who weren't exactly blessed with bounty in the chest area. It creates much more flattering shape than the usual triangle top halter tie and I know it is the same amount of fabric, but it feels like more coverage and better support. I may never wear a regular triangle halter again.


DIY wrap top bikino
Regular Triangle Tie 

DIY wrap top bikini
Wrap Top Style 

This gets a little tricky, so here is the you tube video from Goldfish Kiss to make sense of it.










Bikini Butt Scrunch

This basically changed my outlook on how good my butt could look in a bikini. Your basic bikini bottoms are pretty bland and probably aren't as flattering as they could be.But with a little floss (insert butt floss joke now), a needle and about 2 minutes, you can give your boring bottom a makeover! All you do in take some floss, stitch right down the center of your bikini bottoms about 6 inches or so, pull the floss tight to create a scrunched up ruffle and BAM! Your booty now looks fabulous in those formerly saggy bottoms. It also helps stretched out, a-little-too-big bottoms to fit better. No more losing your bottoms in the ocean or down a water slide!

scrunch butt bikini




So now you can go and play with your old bathing suits and make them fabulous. One of my old bathing suits (pre-pregnancy, that's how old it is) is now my new favorite of the moment.

Here is another Goldfish Kiss Bikini Facelift I tried :

front tie bikini


This tie takes the strings that would go around your neck, and you tie them in the front. I really like this tie  and the way it looks too.



I also branched out a little bit in another way. I have been mixing and matching tops and bottoms lately. I know that is something that most beach babes have been doing since the birth of the bikini, but it is something I have never done before, due to my compulsion to be "matchy-matchy". But now that I have have broken the bonds of matchy-ness, I feel so free. I might go to Target and buy a mismatched bathing suit, or maybe just a pair of cute bottoms, or a sweet top. But I don't know if I could ever go back to matching again.

By tying my tops differently, giving my bottoms a butt scrunch and mixing and matching, I have successfully expanded my bikini closet without buying anything new (D will be so happy!).

But now, if  when I do buy a new suit, it will really be so much more!





happy summer, and you're welcome.








No comments:

Post a Comment