Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blessing Bags

Today I  was planning on doing a toddler project with baby A but an opportunity presented itself and I couldn't miss it. Today I did a "blessing bag".

The past few days I have seen a couple that is down on their luck. They sit close to the interchange for 75 at a park-and-ride with a few belongings and each other. Today I was headed home for lunch and I saw them sitting in the same place they were when I left for work this morning. I was planning on bringing them some cokes and cookies on my way back from lunch but then I remembered an idea I saw on pinterest called a "blessing bag".
The general idea is that you fill it up with with stuff someone in need might be very grateful to have like travel size toiletries, water bottle of water, snacks, granola bar, etc.

Since this was a spur of the moment thing I did not have travel sized stuff and goodies that I had presorted to fill up a bag, so I got a little crafty and made it all up and I think that made it so much better.

Here is what I did:

I took one of those 99 cent reusable bags that I had and starting filling it up. I didn't know exactly what I would put in it so I started to think I stuff I would need if I had to be away from home for a few days, and anyone who knows me, knows I don't pack light.
I included a full arsenal of dental care items, lotion, body wash, wash cloths, a small towel, a un-used hairbrush, some q-tips, etc.
Then I went and raided the pantry. I threw in cookies, crackers, drinks, granola bars, little boxes of cereal, candy, Little Debbie cakes, chewing gum and some fortune cookies. (I sincerely hope they aren't diabetic)
There was no stopping me at this point. I put in a stamped envelope, a small notepad and pen, some coupons for free McDonalds, a small "Message" bible and the information for some local agencies that could help them get back on their feet. I decided to write an unsigned letter to the couple letting them know they were always loved by at least me and Jesus. I packed it all into that bag and put a  ribbon on it and drove to where I had seen them last.

I pulled into the lot where they were sitting, still and I stopped the car and turned it off. Here I am, a little girl in a little car that has ribbons and pearls hanging in front and sorority stickers on the back, I was greeted with a puzzled look from the couple. I got out of the car and got the bag out. I started to walk toward them and the woman stood up. I felt a knot in my stomach, in all my excitement to put the bag together I had never even thought of what I would say to them and its not like I could just drop the bag and run. We got closer and closer to each and finally we were standing there she looked at me and at the bag and back at me. I looked at her and I could see the pain in her eyes, no one wants to have to rely on the kindness of strangers for their next meal or ride or place to sleep. She probably used to be a 20-something with everything going right for her and her husband, she may even have children out there somewhere. Then it hit me that I am only one mistake or unlucky act from being right in their shoes. I felt a wave of thankfulness crash over me and I was humbled instantaneously.  When I finally opened my mouth and spoke to her, I  told her that I put some snacks and drinks and other goodies in the bag for them and that I wished I could take them where they were trying to go but I had to go back to work and that this bag was the best I could do. I wished them well, she thanked me and told me "God bless you, child"  and I walked back to my car. As I was leaving I saw them going through the bag of all the stuff that was just sitting at my house, most it probably wouldn't have really been used or eaten, just stuff in my bathroom cabinet and kitchen pantry. I know that they will appreciate that stuff more than I ever would and the smiles on their faces lifted my heart to a place of happiness that has only been matched by the love of my daughter and husband and the love and grace I receive from God. By giving them a blessing bag, they in turn gave me so much more, they gave me new perspective. I can guarantee that tonight I will go home and hug D and my sweet child and look around that all I have been blessed with, and be a little more grateful.

Everyday I drive by people in need on my way to work, or church, or shopping, or going out to eat, and I just keep driving. The pin I did changed that. I want to make up many blessing bags to keep in my car. I want to go out of my way and make time to speak to these people and to hear the stories they have to tell and maybe make their, and my, life a little brighter. This is definitely something  I will continue to do. This pin was a complete success.

3 comments:

  1. Bless you, Nikki.

    Grandpa Richie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Nikki. I'm really enjoying reading your blog.

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :) I'm glad you like it!!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete